Obtaining your Consent The purpose for which personal information is collected will be specified on or before the collection of the information, and any change of purpose will be communicated to you. This consent will be expressed in writing (by signing the forms on which the information is collected), given verbally, electronically, or through an authorized representative. In limited circumstances, consent can also be implied.Consent to collect, use and disclose personal information can be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. You may withdraw your consent by contacting our Privacy Officer at the address below. However, without your consent, we may not be able to provide you with the products and services you requested. Limitation of Use
Only required information for the purpose(s) identified will be collected. In general, personal information is collected for the following purposes:
- To determine your eligibility for certain products and services
- To set up and manage products and services you have requested
- To verify your identity and protect against fraud
- To understand your service requirements
- To comply with legal or regulatory requirements
- We may contact credit reporting agencies to enquire about change of address if mail addressed to you is returned undelivered or to verify your personal information to comply with the proceeds of crime (Money Laundering) and terrorist financing legislation We may collect your personal information in writing, electronically, or verbally. Personal information will generally be obtained directly from you. With your consent, personal information may also be obtained from other sources.
- Social Insurance Number
There are a number of reasons why we may collect Social Insurance Number (SIN):
- Were there may be reportable taxable disability benefits, interest or other income, your SIN is required by law in order to meet tax reporting requirements under federal and provincial income tax acts
- We may also use your SIN as a unique identifier for your group plan certificated or when you call us to obtain information about your policy or coverage.
- You may elect not to have your SIN used for purposes other than as required by law, however, this may affect our ability to fully ensure the accuracy of your personal information.
- Use and Disclosure
Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those specified to you, except:
- Where required by law; or
- Where reasonably necessary, to determine eligibility for a benefit; or
- To protect the interests of Prizm Financial and its clients against criminal activity, fraud, and material; misrepresentation in connection with a contract
We may use other companies to provide services on our behalf such as disaster recovery services, data processing and storage, printing, and or mail distribution. They will be given only the information needed to perform those services. We hold these companies to the same high standards of confidentiality by which we are governed.
In some cases, our employees, service providers, agents, reinsurers and any of their services providers, may be located in other provinces or jurisdictions outside Canada and your personal information could, therefore, be subject to the law of foreign territories. If you have questions about collection, transfer and use of personal information outside Canada, you can contact the Privacy Officer at the address provided below.
- Retention Records
We will keep personal information only as long as necessary, including for the purpose of updating the product or services or as required by law. When the personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed using appropriate destruction methods preventing unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information during and after the process.
- Safeguarding of Information
We have developed and will maintain security procedures to safeguard personal information against loss, theft, copying, and unauthorized disclosure, use or modification. Access to personal information is restricted to employees and authorized service providers who need it to perform their work. We may use other companies to provide services on our behalf such as disaster recovery services, data processing and storage, printing, and mail distribution. We have contacts in place holding these companies to the same high standards of confidentiality by which we are governed.
- Only You Can Access Your File
- You have the right to be informed of the nature and source of personal information that Prizm Financial has on its records concerning you.
Should you wish to receive a copy of the documents Prizm Financial has on its records, please contact Privacy Officer. Personal medical information is not ever in the possession of employees of Prizm Financial it will be made available through a physician designated by you.
You also have to right to request the correction of inaccurate, incomplete of obsolete information in your file. If it is demonstrated to our satisfaction that the information held in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make the necessary changes.
Amendments to the policy
You may register a privacy related complaint by contacting the Privacy Officer at the address below. We will investigate your complaint and provide a written response. We will also inform you of other complaint procedures that may be available to you.
If a complaint is justified, we will take appropriate action to resolve the situation and if necessary change our policies, procedures or practices.
#675, 340 – 12th Avenue SW